Things to do after an accident

Things to do after an accident

What’s first?

Even if you carry a part of the fault, you must not leave the scene according to the auto injury law. Because, this can result in the suspension of your driving license under ‘hit and run’ field. In an accident even if it resulted in an auto injury, the most important thing is to stay calm. The best practice in auto injury law is to call 911 to report the accident and to ask for medical help. If anyone else is injured, it’s very important to contact an accident injury attorney as soon as possible.

What’s next?

In California auto injury law, the parties involved in an accident must exchange their information. All these information are important to be submitted in order to file a Report of Traffic Accident happened in the state of California auto injury. Also, it is very helpful if you can get any contact details of eye witnesses. These information will be important when you need to have them testify later. The following information are often being shared among parties involved in an auto injury in California:

  • Full Name, permanent and/current address and contact information
  • Driving license number
  • License plate number/s of vehicle/s involved in the accident
  • Auto insurance details or other evidences of financial responsibility for the drivers involved.

One of the most important things in an auto injury accident is taking photographs of the scene. These photos will be important for you later. Even if you hit a vehicle which is unattended, try to find the driver and share information and take photographs.If there is a difficulty to find the driver, you have to leave a note with your name and other contact details.

How to report an accident to the Department of Motor Vehicles?

After an auto injury you must report your accident to the Department of Motor Vehicles within 10 days of the accident. This should be done even if you are not the person who carry the fault of the auto injury and if the following factors apply:

  • If the damages exceed the value of $750.
  • If the accident resulted any injury or death.
  • The report may be filed by your insurance agent, attorney or any designated person on your behalf.

However, in following instances, there’s no need to report accidents:

If the accident took place in your own property and it did not result in an auto injury or death

If the accident was caused by vehicles that do not need to be registered by the law and did not cause any death or injury.

In other cases, if you fail to report your accident to the department of motor vehicles your  driving license will be suspended. If the accident was caused by another driver and s/he pays you for damages and asks to remain silent, you still have to report the accident.

The report you handover must include details of the insurance coverage and financial responsibility. Then the Department of Motor Vehicles will check the information with the insurance company mentioned on the report. Additionally, if you did not have liability insurance when the accident happened, your driving license will be suspended. You can deliver the details to your local California Department of motor vehicle office or mail it directly to:

Department of Motor Vehicles,

Financial Responsibility,

Mail Station J237,

P.O. Box 942884,

Sacramento, CA 94284-0884.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *